About Me

My photo
I am a writer. I began by writing the world's shortest short stories.Each no longer than two lines:one on the cover, one inside.(Birthday cards for pals in school;-). Then I wrote slightly longer stories in the ad agency JWT. These stories lasted 30 whole seconds. After 30 years of having the time of my life, I quit, to write even longer stories. Travel Stories, reviewing eco-friendly hotels for Traveltocare.com. (That's free travel, free stay, free food.) And then I wrote something really really long. An entire Book. It's called "Don't Go Away, We'll Be Right Back: The Oops and Downs of Advertising". And now, another one. "Runaway Writers". It's about a Ghost Tweet Writer, and therefore has about 140 characters in it. (I mean the people, not the length of the book...:-)

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2016

The word blog, I just realised, rhymes with slog.



Having just declared “I am going to go right back to blogging again”, I can see what a lot of hard work and commitment it takes to be a regular blogger. And yet the world is full of writers, who aren’t even actual writer writers, merrily blogging on, churning out in 400-words or so, ‘Dear Diary’ entries for the whole wide world to enjoy.

I remember the first time we heard the word blog, wondering uneasily if it was some kind of monster or a form of bodily discomfort. Turns out the origins of the word ‘blog’ owes its roots to an American Jorn Barger, as way back as 1997, who came up with the word weblog—to describe ‘logging the web’ as he surfed. Then Peter Merholz  broke up the word weblog to we blog, more as a joke --rendering it at once into not just a new–age noun but a verb as well. And that was in 1999.

And then arrived handy blogging techie tools to make it all a breeze for millions of wannabe authors, closet journos, and secret scribes, making it possible for anyone to become a published writer, instantly. I have just read that there are more than 8 million blogs online, and that a new blog is created every 8 seconds. (ie in the time it took to write the last sentence, another blogger was born). And I am sure most of us can’t remember when exactly the word blogging casually entered our lives, much like googling and tweeting.

Well I now have my second book out, Runaway Writers’. I was told by a friend from the digital community recently, “Now that you are launching a new book, you better start a blog site at once…” I realised with a jolt that I did in fact already have one. Just sitting there in cyberspace. (It’s much like an automatic chappati-maker we all wish to buy when we see it on TV, and then realise we already actually have one , bought several years ago, sitting quietly  in our kitchen closet).


So I am now taking my blog out of the closet where it has languished for a few years, un-up dated, un-read,  rapidly uploading a few of my earlier writings to make it alive and breathe again , and start the slog again...

 I mean blog...

2 comments:

superiorpapers com review said...

nice

Jack said...

I agree! writing, reading and learning is a very crucial part of life. what we take from it determines our life and our destiny. writing with spunk and creativity is beautiful and that's you!